Water Jetting Association
Spanner’s or hand tight

Spanner’s or hand tight

• Author

I have been delivering a lot of drain and sewer training modules of late. It’s seems that most experiences drain jetters only hand tighten the jetting nozzles. What is the opinion of you all. I have spoken to some manufacturers who have said that spanner’s must be used. Cheers John

Hi John

My advice is that nozzles should be “nipped” tight.

The thread should be fully engaged but not over tightened, the use of an oil-based thread lubricant should also be used to protect the threads and make sure fittings engage fully, safely and correctly.

John Jones

Emzotech.

Good day, I have been delivering Drain & Sewer Courses, since I started training and it’s my background in Water Jetting and on every practical element of the course I deliver, whether it is to a “Newbie” or an experienced, candidate we discuss jet connections to the hose and in 95% of the cases, all reply, “hand tight” and the trouble they have after jetting to undo the jet “by hand” the jet tightens up under pressure. I don’t know the technicalities or physics of why it is hard to undo after putting on “Hand Tight” but the industry goes for hand tight.

From a “Health & Safety” point of view, the jet only comes under pressure when in the pipework and I have never heard of a jet coming off, yes the whole fitting/connection and jet, can be propelled down the pipe, when hoses have been re-ended (in the past) or hoses are badly worn and not looked after.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Click Here for Medical Emergency